Wednesday, May 22, 2013


His left middle finger got caught between his classroom door and the door jamb last Friday. I got a call from his school about it around noon. Actually it was a missed call! They called Daniel but he was already on his way to a gig that was an hour away. Daniel called me and this time I did pick up. My friend Farina happened to be with me and Sarah, having lunch when I got his call. I left Sarah with her, and went straight to the school. When I arrived, there were already four ambulances. Seriously, four? When I entered the school office, the room was packed with paramedics plus the principal, office staffs, and some teachers. One of the office staffs had to go out to get some fresh air because she couldn't stand the blood. I was asked if I would let the paramedics take him to the nearest hospital or I would prefer to drive him there instead. I opted for the second one thinking that it would be easier for us since the navy hospital already has his records etc. So we went to the ER, waited for about 15 minutes before being attended, which felt like eternity at that point of time.

The first thing they did was to lightly clean the wound. At the school, I didn't get to see it since it was covered with thick gauze so I didn't know the extent of the wound. We had to get an-ray done to see if there was any bone fractured.  The finger almost got chopped off and the only thing that kept it together was the skin. Poor guy was pretty tough. He was in pain but hardly shed any tears. He did however whine a bit when they started an IV on him and when they wanted to numb his finger. Since the upper part of his finger bone was fractured, an orthopedic surgeon was called to sew it back together. I had to look away when they did the procedure. Emir didn't seem to mind though.

We were discharged after being at the hospital for four hours. As much as I was worried about Emir, I was also worried about Sarah since she was not used to be left with someone else. But things worked out well in the end. Farina had to go home, so she left Sarah with the other two boys when they got back from school. Her brothers took her in their room, closed the door so she couldn't get out and just played with her until we got back. Daniel came back a few minutes after that. What a day!

PS: We went back to the hospital today for a follow up checkup and the wound is healing really well! Thank god for that! We do have to go back again in 10 days so that they can take off the stitches.

And this little missy here, she can be funny sometimes. She saw her big brother holding up his hand with bandages and all, and she started pretending she was in pain, holding her hand up just like him. So I wrapped her arm with a piece of gauze cloth and she walked around the living room like this.

Her expression is hilarious!

1 comment: